Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Thanksgiving!

I don't have really any new pictures of Savannah, although my camera is full of them. I just haven't found the time to post them! Trying to study for finals people! I will post them, I promise. However, I will post some Thanksgiving pictures I took on Thanksgiving with family/friends. Here is the latest baby news:
Savannah is breaking the baby scale at a whopping 4 pounds 12 ounces. Wow! What a big baby! Seems like her weight shot up overnight. Man she is huge now. They've got her on weights and a tiny treadmill and...well...not quite. But she IS getting bigger. She is still on the CPAP, but now they are putting her on 3 hour cycles, 3 hours on the cannula, and 3 hours on CPAP. Dr. Lenhart is saying that she is looking like they could transfuse her again since her hermaticrit was so low. But yesterday they took a blood-gas and it had risen from 23 to 26. SO, what that means for you who don't "speak the lingo" is that her red blood cell count had risen on its own, a very good thing (If someone knows that this is incorrect or something then feel free to correct me; I am only a amatuer doctor b/c of Savannah and sometimes I misstate this stuff). This is a good thing b/c it might mean that she is making her own blood, which should start happening in this week or next. Which is why the doctor is trying to hold off on transfusing her again. For which I am grateful. Transfusions are risky. If she is making her own blood, then she will start to (literally) breathe easier, and not respirate so fast, because she'll have more blood cells to carry the oxygen to her body. This would be good for her under-developed lungs. So we are praying that she starts making her own blood and that her lungs develope. Once she goes off the cannula, they will start to try to nurse, and we are hoping that she will take to it like, well, a baby to a nipple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home